12, October 2016
At least eight people have been killed in a bomb attack in Nigeria’s violence-plagued northeastern state of Borno. The bomb blast was carried out on Wednesday, when a female assailant detonated her explosives in a taxi in Maiduguri, the militancy-riddled capital of the northeastern Nigerian state. The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) said, “About eight persons lost their lives, [and] 15 injured persons were evacuated to specialist and teaching hospitals.”
There has been no claim of responsibility for the bomb attack. Nigerian officials, however, often blame such acts of terror on the Boko Haram Takfiri militant group, which has been active since 2009. Boko Haram started its campaign with the aim of toppling the Nigerian government. The Takfiri terrorist group later expanded its activities to the neighboring countries of Cameroon, Chad and Niger.
On September 30, Toby Lanzer, the UN assistant secretary general, urged more donations to satisfy the humanitarian needs of people affected by Boko Haram militancy, warning that the world’s worst humanitarian crisis awaited the Lake Chad Basin if enough was not done. The UN official said over nine million people in the region were in “desperate” need of aid, warning that 65,000 people were living in “famine-like conditions.”
According to the United Nations, about 80,000 children could starve to death if they did not get food aid within the next year.
Boko Haram terrorists have so far killed more than 20,000 people and forced over 2.7 million others from their homes. The group has pledged allegiance to the Daesh Takfiri terrorists operating mainly in Syria and Iraq.