11, February 2017
US President Donald Trump says he is considering signing a “brand new order” on immigration, following a court ruling that blocked his executive order banning citizens of seven Muslim countries from entering the United States. Trump made the remarks on Friday aboard Air Force One on his way to Florida, after his administration suggested it would not ask the Supreme Court to review a federal appeals court decision that keeps the travel ban frozen.
The US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in San Francisco, California, ruled on Thursday that a nationwide restraining order against the president’s travel ban may continue while a federal judge considers a lawsuit over the immigration policy. The Trump administration can appeal to the Supreme Court to immediately intervene, or wait until a ruling on the preliminary injunction order. But Trump told reporters on Friday, “We also have a lot of other options, including just filing a brand new order.”
Asked if he is planning to issue a new executive order, Trump said, “It very well could be. We need speed for reasons of security, so it very well could be.” He said that he might take action on Monday or Tuesday. Earlier in the day, Trump said that he will introduce new measures as early as next week to keep the country safe against threats, indicating a new executive order is coming.