4, June 2019
Jose Mourinho says Salah must win AFCON to make strong case for Ballon d’Or 0
Former Chelsea and Manchester United manager, Jose Mourinho, has given a prescription on how Egypt international Mohamed Salah could compete for the coveted Ballon d’Or gong.
The Portuguese manager who managed Salah during his stint at Chelsea, told Beinsports that the Egyptian could compete for the Ballon d’Or only if he manages to win the upcoming African Cup of Nations, AFCON, with the Pharaohs.
“Salah has to win the African Cup of Nations if he wants to compete for the Ballon d’Or,” Mourinho said in post-match analysis of the UEFA Champions League final last Saturday.
26-year-old Salah’s first medal for the season came with Liverpool, last Saturday, after they beat Tottenham in the final of the UEFA Champions League in Madrid. Salah became the first Egyptian to win the title.
He was a joint goal king winner in the English league, sharing the award with Senegalese team mate Sadio Mane and Gabon international and Arsenal forward, Pierre Emerick Aubameyang. It was the second time in a row he was winning the golden boot.
Egypt, hosts of the 2019 AFCON, are drawn in Group A of the AFCON which starts on June 21. They are drawn along with Zimbabwe, Uganda and DR Congo.
The team will be looking to go one better after finishing runners up in the last edition of the tournament staged in Gabon. The Pharoahs lost in the final to eventual winners Cameroon.
Source: Africa News
























12, June 2019
Andre Onana tops Manchester United Shopping List 0
Manchester United have identified Ajax goalkeeper Andre Onana as their preferred successor for David de Gea this summer.
The Red Devils are expecting to lose the long-serving Spaniard this summer, who looks ready to move after failing to extend his contract which now has just 12 months left to run.
De Gea last month rejected United’s final contract offer to him, meaning the club will be left with little choice but to sell him off for the best price.
The club has been linked with Jasper Cillessen as a replacement, but with Barcelona seemingly looking to hold out for the player’s €60m asking price, a move for the Dutchman looks beyond what they’re willing to pay.
And if £54m is too much for Cillessen, that’s very much the case when it comes to Jan Oblak; the Atletico Madrid keeper once again emerging as a surprise option this week amid claims the €100m keeper wants out at the Wanda Metropolitano this summer.
As such, The Independent claims United have instead identified Cameroon keeper Onana as their No 1 choice – mainly due to the fact that they believe Ajax will do business at around £40m.
That will keep funds free for the club to spend more on rebuilding their defence, with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer identifying the need to sign a new right-back and possibly a new centre-half too.
Onana is set to be confirmed as Cameroon’s first-choice keeper for the upcoming African Cup of Nations and United are set to monitor his performances before making a move.
AND THE REST
Tottenham are set to make an improved transfer offer for Real Betis attacker Giovani Lo Celso – but the LaLiga side are determined to hold out for £65m – a club record for Spurs – for the Argentine (Daily Mirror)
Aaron Wan-Bissaka has told Crystal Palace he wants to make a dream move to Manchester United (Daily Mirror)
Arsenal are interested in Roma midfielder Lorenzo Pellegrini, who has a £27m buy-out clause in his contract, but face competition from Tottenham, AC Milan and Inter Milan for the Italy international (Daily Mirror)
Zinedine Zidane has won his transfer battle with Florentino Perez with Real Madrid set to move for Paul Pogba over Christian Eriksen (Daily Mirror)
Source: Talkteam.com