Nyene Mawn in Germany: Manyu Women leading, Manyu girls rising, Manyu communities thriving
Archbishop Nkea, Bishop Bibi and Samuel Eto’o: Social media popularity should not come at the expense of truth
Cameroon Concord News to put up an obituary announcement on Biya soonest
Biya’s Health: CPDM political bureau must act before uncertainty becomes crisis
Tchiroma, Akere, Kamto: an opposition that still cannot seize the moment
4 Anglophone detainees killed in Yaounde
Chantal Biya says she will return to Cameroon if General Ivo Yenwo, Martin Belinga Eboutou and Ferdinand Ngoh Ngoh are sacked
The Anglophone Problem – When Facts don’t Lie
Anglophone Nationalism: Barrister Eyambe says “hidden plans are at work”
Largest wave of arrest by BIR in Bamenda
2, August 2024
CPDM Crime Syndicate: Detained TikToker released 0
Cameroonian authorities have released a young activist detained last week after posting a video on TikTok advocating democratic change in the country ahead of next year’s presidential election, his lawyers said.
Barrister Akere Muna, lead lawyer for Junior Ngombe, 23, told the media in Yaoundé on Wednesday that the activist had been granted bail and that no charges had yet been filed against him.
“After the investigation, authorities may decide to either drop the case or press charges,” said the lawyer, who is also an opposition politician.
Ngombe, a hairdresser and social media influencer with more than 12,000 followers on TikTok, was arrested in the country’s second city Douala on July 24 and taken to the gendarmerie headquarters, also known as the State Defense Secretariat (SED), in the capital Yaoundé, where he was detained.
The move drew widespread criticism, with rights advocates describing it as a crackdown on freedom of expression by the government of President Paul Biya.
Source: The East African