13, November 2020
American, French and Czech peacekeepers killed in helicopter crash in Egypt 0
A helicopter with the U.S.-led Multinational Force and Observers (MFO) in the Egyptian Sinai crashed on Thursday near the resort town of Sharm el-Sheikh, killing seven members of the peacekeeper force, the MFO said.
Those killed were five Americans, a French national and a Czech national, all of them military service members, the MFO said in a statement. It added that one American MFO member survived and was medically evacuated.
An earlier statement had said that eight peacekeepers were killed, including six Americans.
An official briefed on the incident, who could not be identified by name or nationality, told Reuters it was an accident caused by mechanical failure.
The Czech Defence Ministry released a statement confirming a Czech army member was among those killed in the helicopter crash. The statement said the cause of the crash was a technical fault.
In a tweet, the U.S. Defence Department said its initial report of six service members was incorrect and that five U.S. service members had been killed and one hospitalised.
The Israeli military said it evacuated the injured peacekeeper to a hospital in Israel.
The MFO was installed to monitor the demilitarization of the Sinai under the 1979 Egyptian-Israeli peace accord. It has decreased in size in recent years as the neighbouring countries tightened security cooperation against Islamist-led Sinai insurgents.
However both Israel and Egypt have, in the past, opposed proposals by Washington to reduce U.S. participation in the MFO, whose website lists some 452 Americans among the force’s 1,154 military personnel.
Cairo sees the MFO as part of a relationship with Israel that, while unpopular with many Egyptians, has brought it billions of dollars in U.S. defence aid, sweetening the foreign-enforced demilitarisation of its sovereign Sinai territory.
For Israel, the MFO offers strategic reassurance in a region where allegiances can shift. In a statement of condolence, Israeli Foreign Minister Gabi Ashkenazi described the MFO as “extremely important … to maintaining security and stability”.
The MFO statement said the helicopter was on a “routine” mission when it crashed. The Israeli military said in a statement it had offered to send a rescue team to the scene.
According to its website, the MFO draws personnel from 13 countries and covers an area of more than 10,000 square kilometres (3,860 square miles) in the Sinai.
Source: REUTERS



















13, November 2020
Germany: No return to normal by Jan. even if infections fall 0
Germany’s health minister said on Thursday he expects restrictions imposed to curb the coronavirus pandemic will continue through winter, with life unlikely to get back to normal in December or January even if infections fall.
“I don’t see events with more than 10 or 15 people happening this winter,” Jens Spahn told RBB broadcaster.
Germany reported 21,866 new coronavirus cases on Thursday, bringing the total to 727,553 and jumping back above 20,000 after four days below that figure, while the death toll rose by 215 to 11,982, according to the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) for infectious diseases.
Chancellor Angela Merkel and the leaders of Germany’s states are due to meet on Monday to review whether partial lockdown measures imposed on Nov. 2 have been enough to slow a steep rise in new infections that risks overwhelming hospitals.
Merkel said on Thursday there were hopeful signals that a coronavirus vaccine could be on the horizon, but warned it would take time. She declined to say whether Germany might allow bars and restaurants to open again in December.
“We all have to be sensible, we have to get down to 50 cases per 100,000 people over 7 days,” she said in response to a question on whether the lockdown would end this month. The figure is currently 139 per 100,000.
Unlike its first lockdown earlier this year, Germany is keeping its schools and daycare centers open so that parents can go to work, limiting damage to the economy, although at least 300,000 pupils and 40,000 teachers are currently in quarantine.
A survey for broadcaster ARD showed 54% of 1,004 Germans polled believed the partial lockdown measures were appropriate. Separately, the Constitutional Court rejected an appeal to overturn the closure of restaurants, in force this month.
As the number of cases rises, the source of infection is unknown in most instances, the court reasoned. “This means that it cannot be ruled out that restaurants also contribute to the occurrence of infection,” it said in its ruling on Thursday.
RKI head Lothar Wieler said on Thursday that he expected rules to slow the spread of the pandemic in Germany to remain in place for a long while as a vaccination would take time and there was likely to be an uncontrolled spread of COVID-19 in some parts of the country.
The slowing dynamic of infections gives ground for cautious optimism, but it is not yet clear whether this is a stable development, and hospitals are still expected to reach capacity, Wieler added.
Ute Rexroth, the head of RKI’s surveillance unit, said the pandemic would have a reproduction rate, or “R,” of 3 to 4 without current measures on limiting social contact while the factor currently stands at around 1 in Germany.
She said case numbers might not be rising as steeply as in October because of the new lockdown measures, but it might also be due to testing labs reaching capacity.
Wieler noted that there was currently a high incidence of COVID-19 in those aged 10 to 19.
(Source: Reuters)