2, November 2018
At least 16 civilians have been killed and several others injured after suspected Boko Haram terrorists staged multiple attacks on villages in northeastern Nigeria.
Militants in seven trucks attacked Bulaburin and Kofa villages as well as a camp in a village outside the Borno state capital of Maiduguri late on Wednesday, residents said Thursday.
“The terrorists attacked and completely burnt Bulaburin and Kofa villages and burnt half the Dalori two IDP (internally displaced persons) camp,” said militia leader Babakura Kolo.
In the village of Kofa, local residents counted five bodies burned inside the remains of their house.
A village chief in nearby Dalori said one person had been killed. Two residents of Bulaburin said nine people had died there.
Nigeria’s military said in a statement one civilian was found dead after militants had ransacked Dalori’s market, setting buildings ablaze and fleeing when soldiers approached.
Dalori, which is about 15 kilometers from Maiduguri, houses about 50,000 people in makeshift camps.
In January 2016, at least 85 people were killed when militants stormed and torched the Dalori village and tried to gain access to the camps.
Despite the Nigerian government’s statements since late 2015 that Boko Haram had largely been defeated, militants are still able to attack throughout much of the northeast.
In recent months, Boko Haram has carried out major attacks on military targets, killing dozens.
Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari, a former general, came to power in 2015 on a platform to stamp out the Boko Haram militancy, but the militants continue to stage attacks targeting both civilians and military targets.
Since 2009, the Boko Haram militancy has left at least 20,000 dead and made over 2.6 million others homeless.
The United Nations warned late last year that areas affected by the Boko Haram militancy face a humanitarian crisis.
Adamawa, Borno and Yobe in northeast Nigeria are the three states most affected by the Boko Haram militancy.
Now that you are here
The Cameroon Concord News Group Board wishes to inform its faithful readers that for more than a decade, it has been providing world-class reports of the situation in Southern Cameroons. The Board has been priding itself on its reports which have helped the world to gain a greater understanding of the crisis playing out in Southern Cameroons. It hails its reporters who have also helped the readers to have a broader perspective of the political situation in Cameroon.
The Board wishes to thank its readers who have continued to trust Southern Cameroon’s leading news platform. It is therefore using this opportunity to state that its reporters are willing to provide more quality information to the readers. However, due to the changing global financial context, the Board is urging its readers to play a significant role in the financing of the news organization. It is therefore calling on its faithful readers to make whatever financial contribution they can to ensure they get the latest developments in their native Southern Cameroons, in particular, and Cameroon in general.
Bank transaction: Soter Tarh Agbaw-Ebai
Banking IBAN: GB51 BARC 2049 1103 9130 15
Swift BIC BARC GB22XX
SORT CODE 20-49-11, ACCOUNT NUMBER – 03913015 Barclay PLC, UK
The Board looks forward to hearing from the readers.
Signed by the Group Chairman on behalf of the Board of Directors
Soter Tarh Agbaw-Ebai