7, April 2019
Southern Cameroons Crisis: Biya Regime, NGOs Offer Starkly Different IDP Figures 0
Cameroon officials say the number of people displaced by the separatist war in the English-speaking regions has plummeted, indicating the government is winning the conflict. However, nongovernmental organizations say the number has remained steady at a half-million, with a huge majority living in desperate conditions.
At the Cathedral Hall of the Roman Catholic Church in Bamenda, Christians sing as they receive 35 people who fled clashes last Monday between the military and separatist fighters in the town of Kumbo.
“We were caught inside the crossfire,” Joseph Mussa told VOA. He says he escaped with his wife and six children after they had counted 11 corpses within a week..
“Luckily for us we know some bush roads, bush tracks. We had to find our way across the bush and streams, even spending some nights in the bush, and we find ourselves in Bamenda where we are crowded in small narrow room,” he said.
Last week, the Catholic diocese of Kumbo said it had documented evidence that 385 civilians were killed and 750 houses torched within seven months in Kumbo alone, and young people had deserted most villages, leaving only the very old.

Paul Atanga Nji, Cameroon’s territorial administration minister, says the situation in the northwest and southwest regions has improved greatly, and the number of internally displaced people has dropped 70 percent from its peak of 500,000 early last year.
“Statistics from administrative authorities and NGOs working in close collaboration with the government show there are about 152,000 internally displaced in the two regions,” he said. “Inflating the number presents another danger which can even jeopardize the sovereignty of the state.”
Atanga Nji said the government has supplied humanitarian aid to 100,000 of the displaced and will eventually reach the other 50,000 living in hard-to-access areas.
He dismissed as unfounded local media reports that the aid cannot reach everyone in need because of continued clashes between the military and English-speaking separatists who seek to break away from Cameroon and its French-speaking majority.

But NGOs have contested the government’s figures.
“We have 600,000 and above, and the U.N. says it is 500,000 and above, and all credible organizations are above the 500,000 mark, and these are professional organizations, which have a history of doing such a job [gathering statistics],” said lawyer Agbor Balla, founder and executive director of the Center for Human Rights and Democracy in Africa. “But being as it may, the focus is to ensure that the necessary aid, food and non-food items are provided to those who are internally displaced.”
He says Atanga Nji’s figures are politically motivated, and designed to show the government is resolving the crisis.
VOA





















9, April 2019
Yaounde moves towards its national cyber risk assessment 0
A 3-day Cyber Risk Assessment workshop was organised to train IT experts in strategic state institutions in Cameroon to establish an inventory of critical cyber risks.
The workshop from 2 to 4 April addressed issues on cybersecurity and cybercrime in Cameroon, national critical assets identification and the protection of critical cyberspace. Speaking at the opening ceremony of the workshop, the General Manager of the [National Agency for Information and Communication Technologies (ANTIC) Prof. Ebot Ebot Enaw highlighted the severity of cybercrimes in Cameroon amongst which scamming, phishing, identity theft through the creation of fake social media accounts, web defacement and skimming. Furthermore, with the exponential growth of internet usage in Cameroon Prof. Ebot said there have been more than 1400 cases of scams, over 2000 cases of phishing especially with mobile money transfers, 32 government agencies and ministries web defacements and several local banks have suffered considerable financial losses estimated at over £4.8 million.
Citing the pros and cons of technology, British High Commissioner to Cameroon, Rowan James Laxton said:
Advances in technology are transforming businesses, and transforming lives, around the world. The way we do business, use information and communicate with each other has changed beyond recognition in our lifetimes. In the wrong hands, these powerful capabilities can be used to disrupt our everyday lives, instead of improving them. They can be harnessed by malign actors to disrupt our democratic elections, undermine our financial systems and cripple our critical infrastructure.
Cybercrime has become a scourge that spares no state and the protection of critical assets has become a global challenge for both the developed and developing countries.
Mr Laxton added:
The UK is developing its own capability through a system called Active Cyber Defence which is blocking fake emails, taking down phishing attacks and preventing public sector systems from switching to malicious servers. In the past year, this system has stopped over four and a half million malicious emails from reaching users and has weeded out over half a million scam emails that pretended to come from government accounts. The UK is also committed to working with our partners to build cyber security capacity across the Commonwealth. The British Prime Minister announced during the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting last year that the UK would be making £15 million available to support this work through to 2020. We are already funding capacity reviews for 11 Commonwealth countries in Africa and Asia under this Programme. The remaining £10 million will be delivered through our Digital Access Programme and the international strand of the National Cyber Security Programme.
The National Cyber Risks Assessment workshop is part of the Commonwealth’s Cyber Security Programme to support low and middle-income countries to tackle cyber threats.
Source: British High Commission Yaounde