18, March 2019
Southern Cameroons Crisis: Government Officials Face Travel Bans and Asset Freezes 0
As the crisis in Southern Cameroons intensifies, the American administration and its allies are working behind the scenes to bring the Yaounde government to order.
The U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs, Tibor Nagy, who is on an official visit to the continent has been sending a very clear message to the Biya regime, urging it to embrace dialogue or face the consequences.
Before arriving Cameroon, Mr. Nagy had said the Trump administration clearly felt that the Southern Cameroons crisis that has put the country in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons was an incident that required global attention.
Mr. Nagy who had visited other African countries is currently in Cameroon and will be meeting with the country’s president, Paul Biya, to whom he will be delivering a warning from President Trump. The Trump administration is threatening to impose asset freezes and travel bans on Cameroon government officials if they do not halt the reckless killing of innocent Southern Cameroonians.
A source close to the Yaounde government has indicated that there is panic in Yaounde and that Mr. Biya has called on his collaborators to change their language vis-à-vis Southern Cameroonians.
The source, which elected anonymity, says the American position is being taken seriously as it has the backing of Canada and the United Kingdom which have been seeking to help bring about peace in Cameroon.
With Mr. Nagy in Yaounde, the language has begun changing. The first to set the tone is the country’s defense minister, Joseph Beti Assomo, a staunch supporter of war and a huge beneficiary of the chaos playing out in Southern Cameroons.
Mr. Assomo, on Monday, 18 March 2019, urged army soldiers to stop terrorizing civilians, a clear indication that the message from America and its allies has gone through.
Mr. Assomo who is in Buea to install some military officials; all of whom are from his region, advised soldiers to collaborate with the population to normalize things in the troubled region.
Those installed are:
- Col. Eyenga Severin, as Commander of the 21st Motorized Infantry Brigade (BRIM)…
- Major Eyengue Amougou Allain Wilfred, as Commander of the 21st Motorised Infantry Batallion (BIM)
- Colonel Ateba Leonard Josue, as Regional Delegate of Ex-Service Men.
The newly installed official also warned soldiers in the two English-speaking regions to guard against terrorizing the population.
The Cameroon Concord News Group’s editor, Kingsley Betek, who is currently in Yaounde, will be providing a detailed report on Mr. Nagy’s visit to Cameroon. Stay tuned for any updates from your trusted online news platform.
By Soter Tarh Agbaw-Ebai





















18, March 2019
Should we worry about genocide in Southern Cameroons? 0
Cameroon has been making headlines as another hot spot of instability in Africa. This time, the conflict is along linguistic and cultural lines, between the Francophone majority in the country, who comprise over 80 percent of the population and dominate politics, administration, education, professions and the military, and the Anglophone minority in the western provinces of Cameroon, who make up little more than 15 percent of the population.
The current conflict began two years ago as a protest by middle-class professionals, predominantly lawyers and educators, against the policies of the Francophone central government, perceived to be further marginalizing English speakers and English-speaking areas. The government of Paul Biya, which has been in power since 1982, believed those initial protests were a challenge to the authority of his regime, and responded with a severe crackdown. This, in turn, led to a full-fledged, generalized secessionist movement among the English speakers in the west.
So far, this is in line with the course of post-colonial African politics. But emerging information from within the country is increasingly setting alarm bells ringing, and the international community needs to monitor the situation very closely.
Initial reports of extrajudicial killings of women and children carried out by the central government army personnel are starting to look like systematic campaigns of violence against civilians, with thousands already dead. Entire villages have been evacuated, as some 500,000 people, well over ten percent of the Anglophone population, have been displaced from their homes as a result of indiscriminate state aggression. And attitudes are only hardening on both sides.
Rwanda’s voices are also echoing in response to these international developments. The situation in Cameroon only started making news after an American citizen was caught in the crossfire and killed. This is despite the fact that the United States has been aware that a good proportion of the documented atrocities seem to have been committed by the Rapid Intervention Battalion, an elite military unit that the US trained to fight Boko Haram in the north of Cameroon.
France, the former colonial power, is taking a stand of wilful ignorance that is eerily similar to its attitude toward Rwanda in the months leading to that genocide. And nobody else wants to go anywhere near Cameroon, since none of the major international players have strategic interests in the area – and certainly no interests tied to the Anglophone minority.
The Western press is also taking a rather strange stance on this conflict, which they often term a “near-civil war”. But a civil war implies that there is some kind of equivalence of power between the two parties, as if there was any doubt about which side might prevail. This is simply not the case here. No amount of hardened “secessionist insurgents” is going to pose a real threat to the Francophone government, or indeed the Francophone regions. Short of the two sides coming together to agree on some kind of compromise – and at this stage neither is contemplating such a thing – there are exactly two possible outcomes: Either the Biya government decides to just cut the two Anglophone regions loose and carry on with the Francophonie, or it decides to drown the two provinces in blood.
The decision over what happens next rests entirely with the Biya government. So far, there are no international power players interested in pressuring the government in one direction or the other. And at every given opportunity, the government has chosen to escalate the matter.
We may not be talking about genocide this week, but it is squarely pointing in that direction. There is nothing to suggest that the internal dynamics of the crisis, or the conduct of the Biya government, will divert the course of events, or that it will slow down.
Perhaps the best hope for Cameroon at this moment in history is, in fact, the US. The US has some leverage over Cameroon’s government and has already cut some military assistance to the Biya government over the escalating humanitarian crisis. But can we have any faith that the Trump administration will initiate a sufficiently robust policy response to a developing humanitarian crisis? That would be out of character for the administration. And as long as that remains the case, Cameroon’s most likely outcome, tragically, looks like Rwanda.
Source: alarabiya.net