22, January 2019
Cardiff City’s Sala was on board plane that disappeared over English Channel 0
Premier League club Cardiff City’s record new signing, Argentina-born striker Emiliano Sala, was on board a light aircraft that disappeared over the English Channel on Monday night, police sources told AFP.
Sala, signed by Cardiff on Saturday from French club Nantes for a reported 17 million euro ($19.3 million) fee, was flying to Cardiff aboard a small plane that disappeared from radars around 20 kilometres (12 miles) north of the island of Guernsey.
A statement from police on Guernsey, a British island just off the coast of France, said a search mission had resumed Tuesday morning, hours after the search was terminated at 2am local time due to strengthening winds, worsening sea conditions and reducing visibility.
No trace has currently been found. It was en route from Nantes, France to Cardiff, Wales with 2 people Helicopters from the British and French coastguard joined renewed efforts on Tuesday morning to find the plane which is thought to have crashed.
Sala, 28, who had been at Nantes since 2016 and had scored 12 league goals this season, had signed a three-and-a-half-year contract with relegation-threatened Cardiff subject to receiving international clearance.
When he put pen to paper at Cardiff on Saturday, he said in a statement: “I’m very happy to be here. It gives me great pleasure and I can’t wait to start training, meet my new team-mates and get down to work.
“For me it feels special (to be the club’s record signing). I have come here wanting to work and to help my team-mates and the club.”
(FRANCE 24 with AFP)


















22, January 2019
US: Government shutdown enters second month with no end in sight to the historic crisis 0
The United States entered the second month of a partial government shutdown on Tuesday over Congress’ failure to approve a budget to fund several federal agencies, with no quick end in sight to the historic crisis weighing on the nation’s economy and morale.
Since December 22, a quarter of the US government has been closed because of an impasse between opposition Democratic Party lawmakers and the Republican administration of President Donald Trump over funding for a wall at the border with Mexico to block illegal immigration.
Trump refuses to endorse a budget that does not contain $5.7 billion to build the barrier, a key promise of his 2016 election campaign.
Democrats oppose the wall, calling it “immoral,” costly and ineffective. They want the government reopened before any discussion of the matter.
Trump made a new proposal on Saturday which he said aimed to end the shutdown It offered to extend temporary protection to about a million immigrants facing expulsion, in return for the $5.7 billion he has requested.
Although it was rejected by Democrats – and even by some anti-immigrant voices – the offer could serve as a basis for new discussions.
The partial government closure has directly affects 0.5 percent of the US labor force but has started to indirectly hit the confidence of more than half of consumers, according to a survey by the University of Michigan.
Experts say it is also pressuring the world’s largest economy, against the backdrop of already slowing global growth.
In the most sensitive government agencies, including the Departments of State, Homeland Security and Transportation, the number of affected employees has been kept to a minimum.
But elsewhere, the impact is clear. National Parks no longer have security guards, numerous museums are shut, and some airport security checkpoints have been closed.
About 800,000 federal workers, from FBI agents to scientists and some food inspectors, are furloughed or working without pay while trying to meet their financial obligations.
The affected federal employees will eventually get backpay but more than one million contractors for the government don’t even have that to hope for.
“I’m about to lose my Medicaid, my car insurance” and driver’s license, said Yvette Hicks, 40, a contractor with the Smithsonian museum complex. The single mother of two added: “Right now, this shutdown is really destroying me and my family.”
The longest shutdown in US history is also beginning to have a political price. A majority of Americans hold Trump and his fellow Republicans in Congress responsible, according to several polls.
Source: Presstv