16, October 2019
Killing Southern Cameroonians: French Cameroun continuing war…. 0
Over 1,000 new recruits of the Cameroon army on Tuesday concluded an anti-terror drill in the country’s South Region.
The drill enhanced their capability of handling terror attacks and also defended the territorial integrity of Cameroon, said Lt. Col. Gerald Tataw Tabi, commander of the military training center of Djoum town in the region, where the new recruits were trained for roughly two months.
“Fifty-one days of training is a whole program of transformation … We put them in the situation of the tactical field, especially today [when] we live in a period of uncertainty,” Tabi said.
The 1,226 soldiers swore to defend the flag of Cameroon during a ceremony in Djoum that brought together top military officials of the country.
Maj. Gen. Philippe Mpay, commander of military schools and training centers, encouraged the soldiers during the oath-taking ceremony to defend “the institutions of Cameroon against internal and external enemies and to do this in honor and loyalty.”
Cameroon is facing growing threats from the terror group Boko Haram in its Far North Region and a separatist conflict in its English-speaking regions of Northwest and Southwest.
President Paul Biya has promised not to harm the separatists and Boko Haram militants who will lay down their weapons, but warned that those who continue the armed struggle will “face the full force” of the Cameroon army.
Source: Xinhuanet



















17, October 2019
Psychological Care Lacking in Southern Cameroons Conflict 0
Cameroon’s three-year separatist conflict has left close to 3,000 people dead and growing numbers in need of psychological care. An influx of people impacted by the conflict are flooding into trauma centers across the English-speaking regions of the central African state. Medical officials say they are running short of supplies and trauma workers are struggling to provide care.
A middle-aged woman cries for help at the Integrated Mental Health Care Center in Babungo, a village in Cameroon’s English-speaking Northwest.
She tells a reporter her husband was shot dead in a crossfire between the military and separatist fighters in September. Then on Saturday, her only son’s body was found in an abandoned school building in the town of Mbengwi.
In the same trauma center, 19-year-old Yvonne Ikah says that last month three armed men in the English-speaking town of Bamenda stopped her on the way to school and raped her.
“They told me to climb on a bike [motorcycle] and I tried resisting. But, when I saw the gun, I had no option. They took me to a bush. I insisted that I was an orphan. They beat me and I had no option. What I went through, I am not sure I will ever want to go back there again,” she said.
As Cameroon’s separatist conflict heads into a fourth year, the number of trauma victims is only growing.
At the Babungo Mental Health Care Center alone, the number of patients has tripled in the past two months to nearly 600.
Trauma care specialist Evangeline Nchang says patient numbers jump when fighting stops, as it becomes safer to travel to the center.
“The trauma is just too much,” she said. “Youths are dying, elderly people are dying, even old mothers that cannot even run away when the guns are being shot. They are just shot like that. There are more mental patients every day because of the trauma of this crisis.”
There are not enough beds, so the patients sleep on the floor in crowded hallways.
Medical supplies are running short, despite donations from Germany and the United States.
And director of the trauma center John Tumenta says most staff have fled because of nearby fighting between Cameroon’s military and the separatists.
Earlier this month, Cameroon’s government hosted a week-long “national dialogue” with the aim of ending the conflict.
While some welcomed the effort by President Paul Biya for reconciliation, critics dismissed the dialogue as a sham debate.
Separatist leaders refused to take part, noting thousands of people are still locked up in connection with the conflict, and vowed to continue fighting.
Meanwhile, the United Nations says the humanitarian situation in the troubled western regions is getting worse with half a million internally displaced, and over a million in need of assistance.
Fighting broke out in 2016 after Cameroon’s military cracked down on anglophones calling for an independent state within the mainly French-speaking country. Cameroon’s English speakers say they are treated as second-class citizens and given fewer jobs and support from the state.
Source: VOA