Another 20TH May, same questions: Can Biya still steady Cameroon?
Yaoundé: US Embassy travel warning underscores deepening security crisis
Killing of 4 soldiers in Muyuka: Biya must recognize that peace cannot emerge from silence and denial
Colonel Hamad Kalkaba Malboum: Cameroon mourns a guardian of national pride
FECAFOOT new headquarters and the CPDM ribbon-cutting republic
4 Anglophone detainees killed in Yaounde
Chantal Biya says she will return to Cameroon if General Ivo Yenwo, Martin Belinga Eboutou and Ferdinand Ngoh Ngoh are sacked
The Anglophone Problem – When Facts don’t Lie
Anglophone Nationalism: Barrister Eyambe says “hidden plans are at work”
Largest wave of arrest by BIR in Bamenda
23, July 2018
Southern Cameroons Crisis: Buea observes ghost town despite Mayor Ekema’s directive 0
Capital of Cameroon restive South West region, Buea, was deserted by residents in observing an unofficial ghost town ritual that has been in place for over a year.
Streets of Buea were largely deserted as at the morning of July 23, 2018 and businesses refused to open as ordered by the Lord Mayor. In
Photos sent exclusively to Africanews showed that Buea was observing a ghost town. Residents had virtually abandoned the streets and all social and economic activities had come to a halt.
Late last week, Lord Mayor of the Buea Council Ekema Patrick Esunge, warned that the body will take punitive measures against economic operators especially who respect the most recent call for a ghost town.
In a press release, he said Monday (June 23) remained a normal working day. A word of caution to persons who planned to respect a call to stay away by suspected separatists.
His release read in part: “He further informs them (businesses) to stop respecting the so-called ghost town from unknown individuals.
“Defaulters of the above Municipal Order will have their businesses sealed till further notice considering that several communiques and press conferences have been held with them to desist from this phenomenon.”
Meanwhile, unconfirmed reports by people on social media disclosed that the Mayor was sealing off shops that did not operate. Authorities are said to be doubling locks of shops that refused to open.
Source: Africa News