26, October 2019
The Biya regime has said it will not organize another dialogue to end separatist crisis in the English-speaking regions of the country.
“We do not foresee an inclusive dialogue than the historic one which has just taken place,” communication minister and government spokesman Emmanuel Rene Sadi told state media on Friday night.
His reaction came after the European Union (EU) and Cameroon opposition leader Maurice Kamto suggested that the government need to organize fresh “inclusive dialogue” with separatist leaders to end the conflict.
Sadi stressed that a national dialogue held by the country in early October was of “great success” and the government was looking forward to implementing recommendations made during the dialogue.
The EU and Cameroon opposition have criticized the dialogue for failing to include separatist leaders but Sadi said “they were invited and they did not come.”
“From what could be seen and heard here and there, it is clear that they (participants) came out satisfied and nobody to the best of our knowledge has so far dissociated himself from the conclusions of this dialogue,” Sadi said.
The national dialogue that ended on October 4 recommended that Cameroon’s English-speaking regions that have been ravaged by armed separatism since 2017 should be granted a special status with greater autonomy.
Hundreds have been killed and over 530,000 displaced internally by the conflict as separatists seek to create an independent nation in the Anglophone regions.