10, September 2019
US: Trump says Taliban talks dead, war back on agenda 0
US President Donald Trump has declared as “dead” so-called peace talks with the Taliban, saying Washington is back at pounding the group’s positions in Afghanistan as part of its 18-year-long war in the country.
“They are dead. As far as I am concerned, they are dead,” Trump said at the White House on Monday, when asked about the long-running talks with the militant group in Qatar.
The talks produced a draft agreement last week that included a substantial US military drawdown from the country after 18 years of occupation, putting in sight an end to what has become the longest war in America’s history.
However, the prospect of peace in Afghanistan collapsed on Saturday, when Trump said he had called off a secret meeting with Taliban leaders in Camp David, outside Washington to discuss the deal.
The decision, Trump said, was his response to a deadly bomb blast by the Taliban, which killed 12 people in the Afghan capital of Kabul on Thursday, including an American soldier.
Trump put another nail in the coffin of the draft agreement, saying his military commanders had already stepped war against the militant group to the highest levels in a decade.
“Over the last four days, we have been hitting our Enemy harder than at any time in the last ten years!” he wrote in a tweet.
Trump’s comments were echoed by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who said a day earlier that the talks were “dead” because the Taliban “tried to use terror to improve their negotiating position.”
He, too, noted that America’s military operations in Afghanistan were now back on full throttle.
“We’ve killed over a thousand Taliban in just the last 10 days,” he claimed.

Meanwhile, the United States Central Command (CENTCOM), which oversees Washington’s military operations in Afghanistan, said the US military was likely to accelerate the pace of its operations against the Taliban.
US Marine General Kenneth McKenzie, the head of CENTOM, said during a visit to Afghanistan the Taliban overplayed its hand in the negotiations by resorting to violence.
Seemingly unrepentant, the Taliban, which is today in control of more territory than at any time since 2001 when its rule ended over the country, said Sunday that more American lives would be lost in Afghanistan if the peace talks stop.
McKenzie declined to comment on the Taliban statement but said US troops would not hesitate to hit back.
“We’re certainly not going to sit still and let them carry out some self-described race to victory. That’s not going to happen,” McKenzie told reporters during a stop at Bagram Airfield in northeastern Afghanistan on Monday.
The CENTCOM chief said pledged a “spectrum” of attacks against the Taliban, which will also include airstrikes and raids involving Afghan commandos.
Any increase in US military action would correspond to an acceleration of Taliban attacks, he added.
According to a United Nations report that came out on September 3, airstrikes by US-led foreign forces and Afghan aircraft in Afghanistan reached 506 between May 10 and August 8, around 57 percent increase from the same period in 2018.
Source: Presstv


























13, September 2019
Russian Foreign Minister says war in Syria has come to end 0
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says he believes the foreign-sponsored terrorism in Syria has come to an end, and that the need to promote the long-lasting settlement of crisis both in the war-ravaged Arab country and the entire Middle East region is highly required.
The top Russian then pointed to the provision of humanitarian aid for affected civilians and “promotion of political process on settling the crisis to achieve stable and long-lasting stabilization of the situation in the country and the whole Middle East region” as the most important issues regarding Syria.
“In fact, its convention will enable the Syrian sides – the government and the foreign-sponsored armed opposition – to begin for the first time a direct dialogue on their country’s future,” he commented.
Lavrov went on to say that Russia has taken some steps to “support the efforts of the Syrian government in its fight against terrorists, who still remain in the Idlib zone, and promote issues concerning humanitarian assistance and facilitation of the political process in the context of formation of the constitutional committee.”
The Russian foreign minister later criticized sanctions that the United States and European countries have slapped on the Syrian government, describing the measures as fully counterproductive.
Russia has been helping Syrian forces in ongoing battles across the conflict-plagued Arab country. Syrians continue to recapture key areas from Daesh and other foreign-backed terrorist groups across the country.
Syria has been gripped by foreign-backed militancy since March 2011. The Syrian government says the Israeli regime and its Western and regional allies are aiding Takfiri terrorist groups that had been wreaking havoc in the country.
Militants open fire on civilians at Rukban camp
Separately, US-sponsored militants have opened fire at displaced Syrians stranded in a camp near the Jordanian border after the latter demanded that delivered humanitarian food be distributed among them.
Head of the Russian Center for the Reconciliation of Opposing Sides in the Syrian Arab Republic, Major General Alexey Bakin, said members of the so-called Forces of Martyr Ahmad al-Abdo militant group have seized a significant amount of cargo delivered by the United Nations and the Syrian Arab Red Crescent to the Rukban camp, and moved the consignment to their base north of the camp.
“On September 11, militants opened fire with small arms at a market in Rukban to disperse civilians demanding food,” Bakin said.
The United Nations says about 45,000 people, mostly women and children, are trapped inside Rukban, where conditions are desperate. This is while Geneva-based international aid agency Doctors Without Borders has put the number at some 60,000.
On March 6, Lavrov said the United States needed the Rukban refugee camp in order to justify its illegitimate military presence in Syria.
“The fact that people are not allowed to leave [the camp] and are held hostage makes one suggest that the US needs this camp to continue justifying its illegitimate presence there,” Lavrov said.
“This is in line with the US policy aimed at creating something like a quasi-state on the eastern bank of the Euphrates River. It does not want these territories to get back under the control of Syria’s legitimate authorities.”
Source: Presstv