1, December 2018
Merci Beaucoup President Ahmad 0
Cameroon has been stripped of the right to stage the 2019 African Nations Cup finals, the Confederation of African Football (CAF) said on Friday. CAF confirmed the unanimous decision after a meeting of its executive committee in Accra. Morocco is the favourite to take over the hosting of the expanded 24-team tournament, which is being held from June 15-July 13.
The new host is expected to be named before the end of the year, a CAF executive committee member told Reuters. Cameroon’s ability to host the finals was first questioned when CAF announced in July last year that the tournament would have eight additional teams and only countries capable of putting on world-class tournament, with complete facilities and extensive infrastructure would be allowed to stage the event.
Morocco immediately said it was ready to replace Cameroon, beginning more than a year of claims and counter-claims that CAF intended taking the tournament away from Cameroon and giving it to the north African country.
CAF sent several inspection teams to Cameroon to check on the progress of the construction of five stadiums proposed for the tournament.

When CAF president Ahmad went to Cameroon in October he told the country’s President Paul Biya in front of assembled reporters: “CAF has no Plan B, nor have we ever considered taking the Nations Cup away from Cameroon.”
But last week he criticised Cameroon’s inability to regularise the affairs of its football federation, which has been under the control of a normalisation committee for more than a year while it struggles to adopt a new constitution and elect a new executive.
Next year’s Nations Cup will be the first moved to mid-year to end a long-standing clash between clubs and countries over the release of their players.

It will be the fourth successive Nations Cup to have a change of host. The 2013 finals were to be held in Libya but the security situation there meant they were moved to South Africa.
In 2015 Morocco had the hosting rights taken away after they expressed fears that travelling fans might bring in the Ebola virus and Equatorial Guinea stepped in with just six months to prepare.
The 2017 finals were originally due to be held in South Africa, but they had swapped with Libya, which was then also unable to host and Gabon took over.
Reuters


















2, December 2018
CAF Tsunami: Minister Issa Tchiroma reads malice in decision 0
The Cameroon government has taken note “with dismay” of the decision taken by the Confederation of African Football (Caf) executive committee stripping the country of the hosting rights of the 2019 African Cup of Nations, saying the country has been subjected to a treatment which can give rise to questioning.
“This surprising decision, for more than one reason, is certainly unfair with regard to the huge investments made by our country, which has led to outstanding modern infrastructures as witnessed by all,” communications minister and government spokesperson, Issa Tchiroma Bakary, said in a statement on Saturday.
The government spokesperson described the decision as “unmerited” saying President Paull Biya and the people of Cameroon resolved to make all-out effort to host a remarkable celebration of African football in 2019.
He called on the people of Cameroon to remain calm and not indulge into futile arguments “in the face of this blatant injustice” by the continental soccer body.
Issa Tchiroma said Cameroon has put in a creditable performance and shall prove it to the entire world by completing with the same determination and on time the construction of these modern infrastructures belonging to the Cameroonian people, as pledged by President Biya.
He said African football would not match the exploits of other better performing continents in the absence of an ethical conduct.
“Our country, which has written the pages of African football in bold letters, will not relent her efforts in working with other African countries and international football bodies to develop football in our beloved Africa,” the Cameroon government spokesman stated.
At the Caf extraordinary meeting in Accra on Friday, the confederation said Cameroon has not met with a number of compliance conditions to host the tournament.
It noted that there were gaps between the requirements of hosting the Afcon and realities on the ground. “Furthermore, after hearing the conclusions of the Caf Security Inspection Team during their most recent visit to Cameroon, Caf concludes that the Africa Cup of Nations could not be exposed to any issues that could impact on the success of the most prestigious African competition,” the Caf statement said.
Caf said it would initiate an open and urgent call for new hosts.
The withdrawal of the hosting rights from Cameroon is a big blow not only to football fans but also to President Biya who has repeatedly said the Central African country was going to be ready on D-day.
In most of his outings, especially at home within the last two years, the 85-year-old president, who has been in power for 36 years, has always talked about the Cameroon’s readiness to organize the Afcon 2019 showing his attachment to the competition.
Offering a reception to the “Indomitable Lionesses” who emerged vice champions of the Africa Women’s Cup of Nations in December 2016, president Biya said their success was going to encourage him to ensure that the scheduled organization of the African Cup of Nations in Cameroon in 2019 will be given the necessary back-up.
At a banquet in honour of some Cameroonian athletes who won medals in international competitions, President Paul Biya on August 10 last year maintained that Cameroon was going to be ready for the continental soccer showpiece, even under the new format of 24 teams.
Source: Daily Nation