15, April 2018
Syria strike nothing but ‘political theater’ 0
The recent airstrikes against Syria were nothing but “political theater” orchestrated to please the Deep State in Washington, which has been trying to remove President Donald Trump from office, says a writer and analyst in Indiana.
“The question here is, what was the mission?” asked Dr. E Michael Jones, editor of Culture Wars magazine. “The attack on Syria did not change anything on the ground. It was an elaborately orchestrated piece of political theater.”
On Saturday morning, President Trump declared “Mission Accomplished!” in a tweet about the airstrikes he had earlier ordered against Syria in response to a suspected chemical weapons attack outside Damascus last week.
“The mission from Donald Trump’s point of view was to stay in office, to protect (himself) from the Deep State which has been trying to remove him for two years now,” Jones said.
“The strategy here is to do everything you can to foster the power of the Israel lobby, and Israel and the Jews in the United States,” he added. “The Jews are Trump’s only hope to stay in office. So that was his mission accomplished.”
The US reportedly notified Israel ahead of the missile strikes in Syria.
“The second part of this was of course the Deep State’s mission which was to keep the United States troops in Syria,” Jones said, adding that this “whole play of political theater” began when Trump said he was going to pull American troops out of Syria.
“This is what provoked the false-flag gas attack” in Douma, he noted. “And now the US troops are going to stay in Syria.”
Late last month, Trump announced that the US would withdraw from Syria “very soon,” just hours after the Pentagon highlighted the need for American troops to remain in the country.
“We will be coming out of Syria, like, very soon. Let the other people take care of it now,” Trump said during a speech in Ohio.
Culled from Presstv


























15, April 2018
French soldiers, UN peacekeepers attacked in Mali 0
A rocket and car bomb attack left one UN peacekeeper dead, a dozen wounded and another dozen French soldiers hurt at Timbuktu’s airport area, Mali’s security ministry said Saturday. “A terrorist attack targeted” France’s Barkhan camp as well as UN troops stationed outside the northern Mali city during the afternoon, the ministry said on Facebook.
A dozen rockets were fired at the two camps with gunmen dressed as UN blue helmets riding two vehicles rigged with bombs. “One of the vehicles exploded, while the second bearing the UN sign was halted,” the statement said.
The ministry said the latest casualty toll was one UN soldier dead, a dozen wounded, five of them seriously, and a dozen French soldiers also hurt. “The fighting ended towards 18h30. The sector is being searched. The situation is under control,” it added.
A foreign security source told AFP that the assault was “unprecedented” in Timbuktu. The United Nations had earlier released the same toll for its troops. In a tweet, the UN Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali announced, “One blue helmet was killed in gunfire exchanges with the assailants, a dozen wounded.”
MINUSMA had earlier “confirmed a major and complex attack on the camp at Timbuktu this afternoon (mortars + exchanges of fire + suicide attack vehicle)”. “It’s the first time there has been an attack on this scale against the MINUSMA in Timbuktu,” the security source said.
“We’ve never seen an attack like this,” an official from the Timbuktu governorate told AFP. “Shell fire, rockets, explosions and perhaps even suicide bombers.” Unrest in Mali stems from a 2012 Tuareg separatist uprising against the state, which was exploited by jihadists in order to take over key cities in the north.
More than a dozen of Timbuktu’s holy shrines, built in the 15th and 16th centuries when the city was revered as a centre of Islamic learning, were razed in a campaign against idolatry by jihadist groups linked to Al-Qaeda in 2012. The United Nations has nearly 13,000 troops and police in Mali, many of whom are deployed in the country’s lawless north.
Seven UN peacekeepers have been killed in attacks in Mali this year alone, serving in a mission that has been described as the UN’s most dangerous. A total of 102 have been killed since MINUSMA’s deployment began in 2013.
Islamist extremists linked to Al-Qaeda took control of the desert north of Mali in early 2012, but were largely driven out in a French-led military operation launched in January 2013. Insurgents remain active, linked to drug, arms and migrant trafficking in the vast Sahel region.
(AFP)