28, July 2025
Nigeria kidnappers kill 35 hostages even after ransom paid 0
Kidnappers in Nigeria have killed at least 35 people they abducted from a village in northern Zamfara state despite ransoms being paid for their release, a local official told the BBC.
In recent years, criminal gangs in the region, known in the country as bandits, have taken to kidnapping people as a means to raise money.
In this incident, 56 people were taken from Banga village, Kauran Namoda local government area in March. The gunmen then demanded a ransom of one million naira ($655; £485) per captive, media in Nigeria report.
Local government chairman Manniru Haidara Kaura said that most of those killed were young people who “were slaughtered like rams”.
“What happened was that the bandits demanded ransom money, and after some back-and-forth, they were given what they asked for. They then released 18 people, including 17 women and one young boy, on Saturday,” Haidara added.
“Only they [the gunmen] know why they killed them. They are senseless and heartless people. They forget that they are killing their own brothers, and we will all meet before Allah.”
Sixteen of those released on Saturday are in the hospital receiving treatment, while the bodies of the 38 killed by the bandits are unlikely to be returned as in these cases corpses are rarely released.
In an attempt to curb the spiralling and lucrative kidnapping industry, a law was enacted in 2022 making it a crime to make ransom payments. It carries a jail sentence of at least 15 years, however no-one has ever been arrested on those charges.
It also made abduction punishable by death in cases where victims die.
But families often feel forced to pay to save their loved ones, citing the government’s inability to ensure their safety.
Source: BBC



















28, July 2025
Manidem plans appeal for Kamto’s rejected candidacy 0
Erik Essousse, director of general elections, informed Maurice Kamto that his candidacy for the 2025 presidential election was rejected due to “multiple nominations by the Manidem” party. The Electoral Council also disqualified Dieudonné Yebga, who submitted his bid under the same party affiliation. According to Elecam, this dual endorsement caused legal confusion, rendering both Kamto’s and Yebga’s candidacies inadmissible.
Anicet Ekane, founder of Manidem, strongly disputed the decision against Maurice Kamto. He stated that Elecam’s reason does not reflect the truth. “The CPDM and Paul Biya, feeling [already] defeated, want to avoid a face off with the Manidem candidate,” he said. Ekane claimed the decision resulted from a calculated political maneuver. He added, “Even before the announcement of this unprecedented candidacy carrying the hopes of the people, the regime in Yaoundé had already leaked Mr. Kamto’s personal documents prepared for the application.”
The Manidem founder further accused the government of a disinformation campaign about candidacy eligibility requirements. He also claimed the government crudely altered “the official registration of Manidem’s leadership on the website of the Ministry of Territorial Administration” while orchestrating the submission of a “so-called second candidacy,” referring to Dieudonné Yebga, within the party.
In response to the rejection, Anicet Ekane’s Manidem announced its intent to appeal to the Constitutional Council, as permitted by law. Regulations allow candidates rejected by Elecam 72 hours to file a petition with this body. Ekane stated, “What happens next depends on the response of the Constitutional Council,” emphasizing that the future of Kamto’s candidacy now rests on this decision.
The pre-election dispute warrants close attention as the situation remains unresolved for Manidem. The outlook appears even more challenging for Maurice Kamto, especially since Dieudonné Yebga, in a statement dated July 26, also expressed his intention to contest Elecam’s rejection of his candidacy. As a result, both Kamto’s and Yebga’s bids are at stake, potentially leading to tangled legal proceedings and escalating political tensions surrounding the electoral process.
Source: Business in Cameroon