30, September 2018
Southern Cameroons crisis: Cameroon Concord News Group journalists targeted 0
The Southern Cameroons crisis has entered a very critical phase, with journalists now being targeted as a means of hiding crimes against humanity committed in Cameroon’s English-speaking cities and towns. As the government seeks to wrap up things very fast, it is now targeting young male adults and it has, over the last month, ordered its troops to shoot and kill.
This order is in force in the two English-speaking regions and journalists are not exempt, especially those who are under cover. Two weeks ago, Kingsley Betek almost lost his life in Muyuka as he was under cover to investigate the killings in Fako Division. While trying to check out a timber truck that was being escorted to Douala, Kingsley Betek missed the bullets of a trigger happy soldier.
He missed death by the skin of his teeth as the bullet scraped his hair before finding accommodation in a nearby tree. Luckily for him, the soldiers just continued their journey as the timber was more important than human beings.
He has been stopped on many occasions in Buea and Limbe while seeking to cover some events. Many soldiers have stopped him, but have never really linked him to the famous news group that is providing a balanced report of the crisis.
But it is Irene Nanyongo who is having a tough time plying her trade in the region. She is permanently harassed and she has already received many death threats from some unknown individuals.
It is becoming dangerous to practice this profession today in Cameroon. Other journalists such as Mimi Mefo and Nfor Prince of other media groups are permanently in fear of their lives.
With the passing of each day, the regime is becoming more desperate and it does not want its atrocities in the region to be reported. The international community is breathing down its neck and this is causing it to be erratic in its efforts to hide the crimes against humanity that its soldiers are committing.
By Asu Vera Eyere



















1, October 2018
Yaounde: Camrail to appeal disaster conviction 0
Cameroon rail company Camrail said on Thursday it will appeal its conviction along with 10 of its executives of manslaughter for a 2016 rail disaster that killed 79 people and injured around 600.
The Cameroonian branch of France’s Bollore group, in which the state holds a 13 percent stake, was Wednesday also ordered to pay $89 000 to the victims, Guy-Olivier Moteng, the lawyer for the plaintiffs, told AFP.
Camrail said it would “immediately appeal this decision”, in a statement sent to AFP.
The train was travelling between the capital Yaounde and the economic hub of Douala when it derailed on October 21, 2016. A government inquiry found that Camrail was mainly to blame for the derailment as the train was going at more than twice the speed limit, was overloaded and its brakes were defective.
Moteng said the compensation ordered by the court was far higher than the initial estimate of three million euros. Camrail said the government inquiry was marked by a “complete lack of qualified and competent expertise” and said the experts were former employees who bore a grudge against the company. It said the engine of the train had undergone the necessary checks and tests.
Source: AFP