9, February 2023
Arrests of Amougou Belinga and Maxime Eko Eko must be followed by further progress 0
IPI, the global network for independent journalism, welcomes apparent preliminary progress in the police investigation into last month’s murder of Cameroon journalist Martinez Zogo. IPI urges authorities to pursue the investigation to its full conclusion and hold all culprits responsible according to the law.
Martinez Zogo, the director general of radio Amplitude FM, a privately owned media house based in Yaounde, the capital city of Cameroon, was a popular journalist and host of the radio program ‘’Embouteillage’’. He reported on government malpractice, the embezzlement of public funds, and corruption.
On January 17, 2023, Martinez Zogo was abducted by unknown individuals in Yaounde. Several days later, on January 22, his body was found with signs of torture, as IPI previously reported. His abduction and assassination triggered national and international outrage and condemnation. IPI and other press freedom groups have called for a speedy and thorough investigation.
On February 2, 2023, the minister of state and secretary general of the Presidency of the Republic of Cameroon, Ferdinand Ngoh Ngoh, issued a press release announcing the arrest of several suspects. At least 20 individuals are reported to have been arrested or interrogated, including several with high public profiles in the country’s security services.
Among the highest profile individuals arrested is Léopold Maxime Eko Eko, who heads Cameroon’s General Directorate for External Intelligence (DGRE).
On February 6, 2023, authorities arrested another powerful figure, the business tycoon Jean Pierre Amougou Belinga, who is said to have connections to high-ranking public officials and ministers. According to reports, Jean Pierre Amougou Belinga is strongly suspected of involvement in the kidnapping, torture, and killing of Zogo. Belinga is also the owner of the L’Anecdote media group in Cameroon. Two other powerful people, journalist Bruno Bidjang, the director general of Anecdote media group, and Raymond Thomas Etoundi Nsoe, a retired colonel and former commander of the presidential guard, are also suspected of involvement in the assassination and were arrested in Yaounde on the same day.
“IPI welcomes these signs of apparent progress in the investigation into the horrific murder of Martinez Zogo in Cameroon”, IPI Deputy Director Scott Griffen said. “However, these initial arrests and interrogations of suspects are only a first step on the path to justice. Cameroonian law enforcement must deliver on this initial progress and ensure that all those involved in this crime – including the masterminds, regardless of their position or prominence – are held to account.”
“We will be closely following this investigation, and call on the authorities to ensure sufficient transparency as the investigation moves forward in order to maintain its credibility. The world’s eyes are on Cameroon to firmly defeat impunity in this case.”

















10, February 2023
Yerima says crisis-hit Biya French Cameroun regime doomed to disintegrate and decay 0
The Vice President of the Ambazonia Interim Government, denouncing the murder of General Transporter of Greater Meme Area recently by French Cameroun army soldiers says the crisis-stricken Biya French Cameroun regime is doomed to degenerate and decay.
In a press statement released on Thursday, Comrade Dabney Yerima said the vexatious measures by the occupying Francophone troops against Southern Cameroons Self Defense groups will fail to avert its imminent collapse.
“For a 40-year-old criminal regime beset with an array of domestic crises including the assassination of two journalists and two prominent lawyers in a week and facing a Southern Cameroons uprising on multiple fronts, vexatious moves against Ambazonia Revolutionary Guards will be of no avail,” Vice President Dabney Yerima stated.
“Decline and disintegration are inherent in the nature of the bogus Biya French Cameroun regime” Vice President Yerima furthered.
The Yaoundé criminal regime’s aggression in rural areas of Southern Cameroons has assumed alarming proportions recently with a spate of military raids and targeted attacks resulting in the cold-blooded killing of a number of young Southern Cameroonians in Akwaya, Menchum, Meme and Bui.
The Biya Francophone regime regularly carries out raids on various towns and villages in Southern Cameroons on the pretext of detaining what it calls “separatists fighters”. These raids usually trigger violent confrontations with armed Southern Cameroons Self Defense Groups.
Dabney Yerima in the communiqué condemned the brutal aggression of French Cameroun soldiers against Southern Cameroons women in rural areas in Ndian, Kupe Muanenguba and Mezam after a report by the Ambazonian Intelligence Services said that girls were assaulted and beaten violently.
By Soter Tarh Agbaw-Ebai