29, August 2018
France football legend Thierry Henry not joining Bordeaux after talks break down 0
Thierry Henry will not be the next coach of Bordeaux, with the French club’s president confirming to AFP on Tuesday that negotiations had broken down.
“Yes, we can confirm the end of those negotiations,” Stephane Martin told AFP, following earlier reports in France and England that Henry had turned the job down.
Sky Sports, the channel for whom Henry worked as a pundit for four years before quitting last month, said late on Monday that he had refused the offer to take his first managerial role since retiring as a player.
According to French sports daily L’Equipe, Henry felt that he had not been given sufficient guarantees by General American Capital Partners (GACP), the American consortium expected to take over Bordeaux at the end of September from current owners, the media conglomerate M6.
Despite his lack of experience as a coach, appointing the 41-year-old would have been a remarkable coup for Bordeaux, the six-time French champions.
They are looking for a replacement for the Uruguayan Gustavo Poyet, whose departure from the club is expected to be made official later on Tuesday.
Poyet was only appointed in January and led the club to European qualification at the end of last season, but he was suspended earlier this month after a very public outburst at directors over transfer policy.
Henry, who had been working as an assistant coach to the Belgian national team, met GACP in New York at the end of last week having come to an initial agreement with M6.
According to reports, however, Bordeaux were surprised by his salary demands given his lack of experience as a coach. Reports say he also wanted three new signings before the transfer window closes at the end of this week.
Bordeaux had already been turned down by former coach Laurent Blanc and Remi Garde, another ex-Arsenal player who is now at Montreal Impact in Major League Soccer.
As their search for a successor to Poyet goes on, interim coach Eric Bedouet is set to take charge of the team in their next game, the Europa League play-off, second leg at home to Belgian club Gent on Thursday.
(AFP)



















3, September 2018
FECAFOOT Crisis: Fifa grants Cameroon’s interim football federation an extension 0
Fifa has granted Cameroon’s five-man Normalisation Committee a three-month extension to continue managing the country’s football federation (Fecafoot).
Fifa says this second extension will enable Cameroon’s caretaker body to hold elections and manage Fecafoot’s affairs before 16 December 2018 when the mandate expires.
Set up in September 2017, it has been tasked with drafting new statutes for Fecafoot to hold free and fair elections.
However, elections can only happen if Cameroon’s sports laws – written in 2011 – are modified.
A new sports charter was brought into law in July 2018, but the election of a new executive committee has still not taken place.
Fifa stated that it was allowing the normalisation committee to stay on after Cameroon sports minister Bidoung Mkpatt wrote to them on 28 August 2018, establishing that elections could not be organised at Fecafoot because “it coincided with the holding of presidential elections in the country”.
Mkpatt added that the decision not to convene elections in August was to avoid “predictable interferences that could have marred both (presidential and fecafoot) elections”.
The caretaker committee is expected to forward a road map of activities to Fifa for validation before voting will take place.
Following the extension, Normalisation Committee member Kevin Njomo told BBC Sport the decision is in the best interests of Cameroon’s football fraternity.
“Three months is enough time for us to complete our job. Six months ago we had finished reviewing the statutes but elections weren’t held because of an audit.
“After the first prolongation, we had set dates with the adoption of texts and elections to take place from 23 June – 31 August 2018 but Fifa asked us not to proceed until the sports laws were adopted.”
“Fifa have our road map so if they decide to give us three months it’s because they know we can complete our mission. In the last 6 months we’ve met Fifa’s benchmark. Unfortunately elections just couldn’t be held under such conditions,” Njomo concluded.
Source: BBC