5, April 2019
An official report by Ethiopia’s government says the pilots of a Boeing MAX airplane operated by the country’s flag carrier that crashed last month followed all safety guidelines provided by the US aircraft manufacturer.
Ethiopia’s Minister of Transport Dagmawit Moges made the remark on Thursday as she delivered the first official report on the disaster, which occurred on March 10 and claimed 157 lives.
“The crew performed all the procedures repeatedly provided by the manufacturer but was not able to control the aircraft,” Dagmawit told a news conference in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa.
Initial reports claimed that despite numerous efforts, the pilots had failed to override the automated anti-stall system that repeatedly tilted the plane’s nose downward before it crashed just minutes after take-off from the Addis Ababa airport.
The incident took place five months after another Boeing airplane plunged into the Java Sea off Indonesia, killing 189 people.
The Ethiopian minister also stressed on Thursday that aviation authorities needed to verify any review before the operational release of the American-made planes.
Authorities investigating the Ethiopian Airlines flight have said there were “clear similarities” between both crashes, which involved Boeing’s workhorse Max 8 jets.
The 737 MAX planes were grounded worldwide following the two fatal crashes.