25, November 2022
France: Macron denies being main target of campaign financing probe 0
French President Emmanuel Macron on Friday denied being the main target of a judicial investigation into the government’s use of management consultants and their role in recent election campaigns.
The French financial crime prosecutor’s office revealed late Thursday that it had opened a probe which was thought to be focused on Macron and his 2017 and 2022 presidential campaigns.
“I’m not scared of anything,” the 44-year-old head of state told reporters during a trip to the town of Dijon.
“I believe that your servant is not at the heart of the investigation,” he added, referring to himself.
“It’s normal that the justice system does its work. It does it freely and will shine a light on this issue.”
The prosecutor’s statement did not name Macron or his election campaign, but said investigators were looking into allegations of favouritism and hidden campaign financing in relation to management consultancies.
The probe began after complaints following the publication of a Senate report in March which showed government spending on consultants had more than doubled during Macron’s first term from 2017-22.
The favouritism allegation could relate to US-based consultancy firm McKinsey, which was the biggest beneficiary of these contracts and reportedly provided staff to Macron’s 2017 campaign team for free.
KcKinseygate?
“I tell you, no,” Macron replied when asked about the allegation, adding that he had explained himself “hundreds of times” already.
The Senate’s revelations about spending on consultants — which reached a billion euros ($1.1 billion) last year — were seized on by Macron’s opponents during his campaign for a second term this April.
The scandal, dubbed “McKinseygate” by the French media, became a debating point, with many French people shocked by the use of expensive and foreign firms which specialise in strategic advice and IT services.
Macron has repeatedly defended the recourse to consultants.
“When you want to go very quickly and very strongly with a policy, you need to make use of outside contractors occasionally,” he told reporters in late March.
The investigation is significant because it could be the first that risks personally implicating the president.
Several of his allies, including his current chief of staff, face legal investigations over a range of charges.
‘Slow poison’
The most damaging incident involved his former bodyguard who was filmed beating up protesters in 2018 and was later convicted of assault.
“For the moment, this issue is going completely over the head of French people who are obsessed with economic, energy and social considerations,” Frederic Dabi, the director of polling group Ifop, told AFP.
“It remains to be seen if it will become a slow poison for Macron’s camp if there are a series of judicial developments,” he added.
France has strict rules on the financing of election campaigns and political parties, which have led to many convictions in recent decades.
Right-wing ex-president Nicolas Sarkozy received a one-year prison sentence in September 2021 for illegal financing of his 2012 re-election bid.
Judges concluded that Sarkozy spent nearly twice the legal limit on his doomed quest for a second term.
He has appealed.
“Let’s stop imagining that because an investigation has been opened that there’s something outrageous,” MP Sylvain Maillard, interim leader of Macron’s party in parliament, told Europe 1 on Friday.
Source: AFP



















25, November 2022
Qatar 2022: Iran rallies to beat Wales 2-0 for chance at knockout stage 0
Iran ignored the distractions that have overshadowed the team since they landed in Qatar to get their World Cup campaign up and running as they rallied to beat sloppy Wales 2-0 on Friday, giving themselves a chance of reaching the knockout stage.
Iran were thrashed 6-2 by England in their Group B opener but those two goals against the table-toppers gave them the confidence that they could compete with European sides as they arrived at the Ahmad Bin Ali Stadium with a point to prove.
The Asian team has never got past the group stage at five previous World Cups but Carlos Queiroz’s players will now fancy their chances after an impressive display as they punished a Welsh side that was reduced to 10 men late in the second half.
“We played today with amazing character, which is the profile of our team. We played with a sense of unity, cohesion,” said Queiroz, who was thrown into the air by his players after the full-time whistle.
“Sometimes you lose your dignity, your honour, but of course in our first game we were bleeding in our pride. This was an opportunity to rebound… We played brilliantly and deserved to win.”
Even before the match had kicked off, the focus was firmly on the players as they sang the national anthem, having refrained from doing so in their opening game in apparent support for protesters back home.
But once the referee blew the whistle for kickoff, they were laser focused on the job at hand and immediately got stuck in, asking questions of Wales as both sides deployed different formations to set up an intriguing tactical battle.
Leading strikers Sardar Azmoun and Mehdi Taremi both ply their trade in Europe and Queiroz, who had opted for just one forward against England, paired them up front to keep the Welsh defence pegged back and on their toes throughout the game.
Iran goalkeeper Alireza Beiranvand missed the game after suffering a concussion and a broken nose against England and his replacement Seyed Hossein Hosseini was very much up to the task against Wales despite shipping six goals in the opener.
A cagey start saw Iran fire their first warning shot when they had a goal disallowed for offside but that was enough to sow doubts into the Wales camp while it gave Iran belief that Rob Page’s side was there for the taking.
Wales panic
After a goalless first half, it was barely minutes into the second period when Iran burst into life as Azmoun and Ali Gholizadeh hit the woodwork within seconds of each other while Saeid Ezatolahi also had an attempt saved.
That sowed panic in the Welsh side that was visibly tiring in the heat and it came to a head when goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey charged out of his box and took out Taremi with a high knee, as he received a red card for his troubles.
The sending off was the invitation Iran needed to burst forward with renewed vigour and, with nine minutes of stoppage time added on, they floored Wales with a deadly one-two punch to leave the Welsh fans in the stands in tears.
“We were ready mentally,” goalscorer Roozbeh Cheshmi said. “We had a lot of chances to score but eventually we were able to win and get three points, this was because of solidarity of the players that we were able to achieve this result.”
Wales manager Robert Page could only look on helplessly as his players failed to implement his plans, with Kieffer Moore and Gareth Bale barely seeing the ball while the experienced Aaron Ramsey failed to influence the game from midfield.
Page had decided to start Moore after his impressive second-half performance against the United States.
But it backfired as the physically imposing striker did not make an impact apart from an early shot on goal that was well saved by Hosseini at point-blank range, arguably Wales’ best chance of the game.
“I always take responsibility, that’s my team,” Page said.
“The sending off didn’t help, of course, but at that point we had five forwards on the pitch, so couldn’t get a defensive shape.”
Source: Reuters