19, October 2025
Cameroon-flagged tanker attack: Yemen’s Houthis deny involvement 0
The Houthi group on Saturday denied any involvement in the projectile attack earlier in the day in the Gulf of Aden off Yemen’s coast, which led to the explosion and burning of a Cameroon-flagged oil tanker, according to the Houthi-run Saba news agency.
The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations said in a statement on social media platform X that it had received reports of a vessel struck by an unknown projectile about 116 nautical miles east of the Yemeni port city of Aden, which subsequently caught fire.
A source from Yemen’s government coast guard identified the vessel as MV FALCON, noting that “the situation is under control” following rapid rescue operations, and that an investigation has been launched into the attack.
The source said all 26 crew members were safely evacuated from the vessel, but a statement issued later by EU military operation EUNAVFOR Aspides on X said 24 of them — one Ukrainian and 25 Indians — have been rescued and are being transported to Djibouti, while the other two remain missing.
According to EUNAVFOR Aspides, the vessel was sailing 113 nautical miles southeast of Aden when the attack came. It then exploded, caught fire, and has been adrift.
“Initial assessments suggest that approximately 15 percent of the ship is on fire. The cause of the blast remains unclear, but indications point to an onboard accident,” it added.
The Gulf of Aden is a key maritime corridor linking the Red Sea and the Arabian Sea. In recent months, the waterway and the neighboring Red Sea have witnessed repeated attacks on commercial shipping, attributed to the Houthis. The group says its operations are aimed at pressuring Israel and its allies in solidarity with the Palestinians amidst the Gaza conflict.
Source: China Daily



















21, October 2025
Cameroon on edge after disputed Presidential election 0
Following Cameroon’s presidential election on 12 October, both parties have claimed victory, despite official results not expected for another week. In the port city of Garoua in northern Cameroon, supporters of opposition leader Issa Tchiroma Bakary are keeping watch outside the former minister’s house, wary that President Paul Biya’s government could order his arrest.
Young Cameroonians, both men and women, take turns day and night on the forecourt of Issa Tchiroma Bakary’s home in Garoua, armed with slats and clubs. They are there to protect the opposition leader from arrest after he challenged the outcome of Sunday’s election.
Hassana Tchiroma is a relative of Issa Tchiroma:
‘Minister Tchiroma simply had enough of the hostile rhetoric coming from President Biya’s entourage.’
The inhabitants of Garoua have organised themselves so that one group can keep watch at night and another during the day. They are also calling for 92-year-old President Biya to resign after 43 years in power.
‘Cameroonians are suffering,” says Moussa Iya Mohaman Adama, a resident of Garoua. “If you see the young people out there, you have to understand that we are tired. We are graduates and we have no work. We need to change the country. We want change from north to south, from east to west. We don’t want war. Sorry, Papa Biya, you have to hand over power to the people.”
Following the October 12 election, violent demonstrations shook the city when young people who joined the procession of Garoua’s strongman were dispersed by riot police.
“It was the people who made the decision to protect Minister Tchiroma and his home,” says Hassana Tchiroma, speaking outside the minister’s home.
“You see, we didn’t do anything, and when we returned the other day, on the day of the vote, we found riot police and lots of gendarmes at the crossroads at the entrance to the minister’s home. But we did everything we could to get three vehicles through and disperse the others. It was the next day that the minister was finally able to return to his home, and since then he has been confined to his residence. Everything he does, his statements and everything else, is done from his home.”
The situation remains tense in Garoua, a city under siege. Issa Tchiroma claimed victory in an address to Cameroonians from his home on Monday.
Source: Africa News